10-18-2013 07:08 PM

Akridge's proposed Loudoun Parkway Center already hated by nearby residents

View Slideshow

Loudoun Parkway Center South will feature four Class A office buildings, a hotel, and residential and retail space.

Akridge's 1.3 million-square-foot Loudoun Parkway Center, proposed for 122 acres between the Route 606 and Route 722 Metro Silverline stations, is in the earliest stages of county review, but it's already sparking ire among some area residents.
More than 50 individuals, all claiming to be neighbors of the Akridge project (I've confirmed many are), have left comments on the Loudoun planning website strongly opposing it.
A sampling below:
From Ramanan Ramadoss: "Our neighborhood is already congested. Increasing the zoning limits would make the problem worse. We bought our property based on the assumption that this area would not become so crowded and congested. The zoning limits should remain unchanged as this impacts the lifestyle of nearby neighborhoods. Our community is opposed to this application."
From Cynthia Fortuno: "I strongly oppose the rezoning. Our roads-Loudoun County Parkway and Waxpool Road in particular-are already over capacity and cannot handle the amount of traffic. If the developers really want to make the area enticing for businesses, I feel they should rethink cramming a bunch of high-density housing in such a small area."
From Ajay Kumar: "When we bought our house, Loudoun County looked to be a better place to raise a family, but now with so many cars on the road, it is so hard to commute to and from work. Loudoun County needs more businesses than more houses."
The rezoning application, dropped in mid-August, calls for 804,766 square feet of office space in four Class A buildings — all easily seen from the Dulles Greenway — 915 residential units (355 townhouses and 560 apartments), 75,000 square feet of retail space in two buildings, a 155,000-square-foot, 200-key hotel, a 40,000-square-foot town green, and 65,000 square feet of active recreation across multiple parks and trails.

• Page 1

Michael Neibauer covers economic development, chambers of commerce, transportation and politics.

Continue Reading >>